Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Tendulkar's feat will be unmatchable

Milestone man Sachin Tendulkar today became the most-capped Test cricketer in the world and former Australian all-rounder Andrew Symonds said the champion Indian batsman's feat will remain untouchable for years to come.

Tendulkar, who holds almost every batting record, today overtook former Australian captain Steve Waugh's feat of 168 matches after taking the field in the third and final Test against Sri Lanka in Colombo.

Symonds, who is one of the commentators for this year's Champions League Twenty20, was of the view that the game will lose its charm without greats like Tendulkar, who is in the twilight of his career, and retired Muttiah Muralitharan.

"I doubt it very much that somebody can match Sachin's feat. Currently, there is probably Ponting, Boucher and Kallis who made played a lot of Test cricket. They are probably the only three who can get nearer but I can't see anyone starting cricket now and playing 160-170 Test matches," the 35-year-old Australian told PTI in an interview.

"The game obviously loses the players people love to pay and watch but the same thing happened with Australia. (Shane) Warne, (Glenn) McGrath and (Matthew) Hayden retired as well but someone comes in and takes their place in the team but, I mean, they can't become what these guys have been to the team," he said.

Symonds' chequered 11-year-old career with the Australian team was marred by off-field controversies, which eventually forced him to turn into a freelance cricketer last year. But the England-born Australian said he has no regrets about his decision as it gave him time to enjoy life.

"Definitely, it gave me a lot more free time to enjoy life and spend time with my family but still play cricket all over the world. So, I am very happy with my decision.

"I don't regret my decision. The rules of the game were changing and I was not involved that much with the team. I was also not happy with environment of the team. At the end of it, I thought it was time. I don't miss the Australian team," he said.

No comments: